At Shiryodo Karate we cater for all ages and levels of fitness. In our senior program we have people of all ages, teenages, mums and dads, right through to those in the 60’s. Â We recognize that depending on peoples age and past experience they will have differing levels of fitness and learn at different rates. These individual differences and abilities of people are always taken into account by the instructors at Shiryodo Karate.
The senior program is for ages 15 and above, if your already 14 when you start then we will get you to start as a senior, rather than train for a short time and change over.
Seniors begin their training at Shiryodo Karate with our 2 class introductory program. At these classes students are taken through some of the basic Karate techniques that they will be learning at an easy to follow pace. We also explain the reasons behind some of the things we do and what people can expect from training at Shiryodo Karate. Book an intro today and discover what the martial arts can do for you.
Once people have completed the introductory lessons they then attend our beginner classes where we focus on teaching basic techniques and some simple combinations and applications using these. If training regularly most people will complete our beginner program in 2-3 months at which time they grade to a blue belt.
After doing your first grading you can then attend various graded classes. Some of these will be focused on teaching you the syllabus required at your level. Others will involve various drills and applications of techniques. You will learn both structured self defense techniques and unstructured ones where you deal with various scenarios. In with all this is a good aerobic workout, some exercises designed for increasing strength and flexibility training.
There are also various seminars, tournaments, camps and other optional events that you may enjoy as part of your training.
Here are the top 10 health benefits you will get from training in Shiryodo Karate:
- Total body workout:Â Martial arts are a high-aerobic workout that uses every muscle group in the body. Your stamina, muscle tone, flexibility, balanceÂ and strength will all improve through martial arts.
- Self confidence:Â Due to the goal setting, positive encouragement and respect for values that are part of all martial arts programs, the greatest benefit usually reported by martial arts students is greater self-confidence. You become more comfortable in all situations â€“ whether youâ€™re in danger or simply doing a task that takes you beyond your comfort zone â€” and youâ€™ll discover you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.
- Weight loss:Â A one hour session of moderate intensity martial arts can burn up to 500 calories.
- Improved reflexes:Â Research has found that by participating in martial arts, you not only improve your reflexes while performing the activity, but actually experience faster reaction times during all activities of your life. This is very important in a number of daily activities, such as driving.
- Focus and stillness:Â As Bruce Lee pointed out, behind the punches, kicks and knees, a true martial artist learns to sit with himself and see where his weaknesses are. As a martial artist, your will learn what it is to be still, challenged and focused.
- Teaches great morals and values:Â Martial arts wisdom has it that after consistent practice, one becomes less impulsive and aggressive towards others. At Shiryodo karate we introduce students to Bushido, the code of conduct followed by the Samurai. This has 7 virtuesÂ Valour, Benevolence, Rectitude, Etiquette, Truth, Loyalty and Honour. This reminds students of the right attitude, frame of mind and virtues to strive for insideÂ and outside of the dojo.
- Muscle tone:Â By participating in martial arts, you can greatly improve the amount of muscle massÂ you have in your body. The higher your muscle mass, the higher your metabolic demands will be, and subsequently the more calories you will burn each day, thereby helping prevent obesityÂ and promote weight loss.Â High levels of muscle mass also lead to increased agility, thereby preventing falls as you age.
- Better mood:Â Researchers have found that participating in a regular exercise routine is one of the best ways to improve your mood. Performing martial arts is not only a good way to relieve stress and frustration, but may actually help to make you happier. The endorphins released by physical activity appear to be activeÂ in your body for as many as four hours after exercise.
- Improved cardiovascular health:Â Research has found that the only realÂ way to improve the status of the cardiovascular system is by participating in activities that stress the heart, such as martial arts.
- Healthy lifestyle:Â Due to the total-body nature of a martial arts workout, tons of calories are burned during every class. However, youâ€™ll also find that your natural eating signals become better regulated, so food cravings will disappear and youâ€™ll eat less as a result.